Car tyres play the most important role in accidents caused by technical failures. A car is actually controlled by four small contact areas between the tyres and the road. Therefore it may be claimed that tyres make up one of the most important components of your vehicle. Tyres affect steerability, breaking and acceleration.
- Check the depth of tyre tread!
In the Republic of Estonia, the minimum allowed tyre tread depth for summer tyres is 1.6 mm and for winter tyres 3.0 mm. However, such minimal tread depths do not guarantee your feeling of safety. We believe that from the point of view of traffic safety, the minimal allowed depths should be 2.5 mm and 5.0 mm respectively.
- Check the accuracy of tyre pressure!
Since the air inside tyres warms up and expands during driving, the best moment to check the pressure is in the morning before you start driving.
In case of overpressure, tyres become too stiff and contact are with the road surface decreases even more. This results in deficient tyre adhesion and poor vehicle steerability.
The characteristics for underpressure are the “floating” of the vehicle on the road and “heavy” steering wheel. It also brings along increased fuel consumption.
- Check regularly that the side surfaces of the tyres would be without damages, i.e., there are no visible cuts, knots, etc.
- Do not forget to check the condition of the spare wheel. You will not need it very often but, nevertheless, it should be in proper working order.
- It would be advisable to go to axle stand with your vehicle once a year. Above all, this is necessary due to our road conditions. Wrong run of wheels during normal driving is the most common reason for creating uneven tyre wear. Avoiding the axle stand is therefore not economical in the long run.
- Wheel balancing is not just an “additional work” made up by the tyre shops with the aim to issue you larger invoices. This serves as the basis for traffic safety (length of braking distance) and for your driving comfort. Therefore, we recommend you check your vehicle wheels more than just 2 times a year during the obligatory tyre replacement procedure.
- Buy and install summer tyres at the beginning of autumn because due to the threats of aquaplane and sleet, the deepest tyre thread is needed in that season. This is also backed up by an economic factor because bargain prices from tyre companies also fall into that period.
- Having obtained new studded tyres, avoid sudden braking, accelerations and maneuvers during the first 200-500 kilometres. This is necessary because the studs need time to be correctly “seated” in their places.